How do I register marriage in Chennai & what are the procedures?

How do I register marriage in Chennai & what are the procedures?
2 min read

To register a marriage, you must follow the Tamil Nadu Government's standards and processes. The following is the basic procedure for marriage registering in Chennai:

Notice of Intended Marriage: The Sub-Registrar of Marriages needs to be notified in advance of the intended marriage. The notice must be delivered at least 30 days before the anticipated wedding date. To submit the request, the bride and groom must both come to the sub-registrar's office.

Required Documents: You must compile the following Documents:

Application form for marriage registration (available at the Sub-Registrar's office).Age verification (birth certificate, passport, or school/college transcript).

Address proof (ration card, voter ID, Aadhaar card, or passport).Photographs of the wedding couple at passport size. Wedding invitation card.

Affidavit confirming the date and location of the marriage, the parties' marital status, and nationality.

If either partner was previously married, provide proof of divorce or a death certificate for the spouse. Two witnesses, each with their own ID and passport-sized photograph.

Verification and Registration: After the 30-day notice period, the Sub-Registrar will check the documents and do individual interviews with the bride and groom. The marriage can be registered if there are no objections presented during the interview.

Marriage Certificate: The marriage will be registered and a marriage certificate will be issued after successful verification. In the event that there are no problems, the certificate is often given that day. Make careful to gather several copies of the marriage license because you could need them for a variety of reasons.

Note: The procedure may change depending on the particular requirements and conditions. For accurate and current information about marriage registration in Chennai, it is advised to go to the closest sub-registrar's office or consult a lawyer.

In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the author by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
Comments (0)

    No comments yet

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In / Sign Up