Hair transplant is an effective method to restore the natural hairs. Usually, it takes a few months to provide the desired outcome. But sometimes individuals are unable to get the desired results and another attempt of hair transplant may be prescribed by the doctor. The invasive procedure of hair transplant is a major decision to take initially, in such circumstances undergoing through the procedure again is doubtful.
A discussion on a second hair transplant has been done with Dr. Sumit Agrawal at Harleys Hair Transplant Clinic. He talked about the need for a second hair transplant, when it is required and what is the second hair transplant cost in Mumbai. This blog contains useful insights from that conversation and shares a useful study on the consideration of a second hair transplant.
What is Secondary or Revision Hair Transplant?
A second hair transplant is a reattempt of implanting the hair strips/grafts to the balding scalp. This procedure is similar to the regular usual hair transplant method in which grats/strips are used to take from the donor area and implant them into a bald scalp. This reattempt of hair transplant procedure is typically recommended to people unable to get the outcome with the first attempt.
Is a Second Hair Transplant Necessary?
Second hair transplant offers various benefits. Some of them are as follows:
- It improves the density level and helps to fill in areas with sparse hair.
- It improves one’s overall appearance and makes hair look thicker.
- A second hair transplant addresses the issues or mistakes of the first procedure, such as unnatural hairline placement, inadequate coverage, or uneven growth.
- If the individual has noticeable scars from the first transplant, a second procedure can be used to repair those scars.
- Some individuals experience continued hair loss after their initial transplant. A second transplant can help address these ongoing hair loss issues and maintain a natural-looking appearance.
- A second hair transplant often has shorter recovery times and it works around existing hair grafts and minimises any potential downtime.
Who is An Ideal Candidate for A Second Hair Transplant?
An ideal candidate for the second hair transplant is:
- One with failure attempts of first hair transplant
- An individual unhappy with the results of the first hair transplant.
- One’s hair are continued falling out after the first transplant
- If the surgeon has pre-planned a follow-up hair transplant surgery
Procedure of a Second Hair Transplant Surgery
An eligible candidate, ideally one willing to get more than 600 grafts, then a procedure of second hair transplant is as follows:
- Examination of one’s physical and overall health
- Evaluation of the balding scalp
- Choose the donor area to extract good quality of strips/follicle grafts of the hair
- Extract the strips/ grafts and prepare them for implantation
- Prepare the bald scalp by puncturing it through a implanter
- Implant the grafts/strips into punctured holes
- Close the incisions
- Prescribe medication and guidelines to take care of the treated scalp.
Techniques of Second Hair Transplant
A second hair transplant can be performed by using any of FUE and FUT techniques. But majorly the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) method is widely popular in this concern. However, this is rarely the case. However, reasons of consideration of this method are as follows:
- FUE is a minimally invasive method
- Less Pain and minimal downtime
- Minimal scarring
- Speedy recovery
- Number grafts give more realistic outcome
Things to Consider Before Undergoing a Second Hair Transplant
After the first hair transplant, many people wish to have increased density of their hairs. As a result, apart from recommendation from the surgeon they may also desire to reappear for the same. To do so, there are certain essential things one should know. Some of the are as follows:
- Results of the initial hair transplant.
- Expectation must be realistic
- Consider the potential for future hair loss.
- Wait until the first hair transplant has fully matured and the transplanted hair has grown in.
- Transplantation technique
- Potential risks and complications associated with a second transplant, such as infection, scarring, and donor area depletion.
- Consider the cost of the procedure
- Recovery, Downtime and Risk associated with a second transplant.
How Many Grafts are Required In the Second Hair Transplant?
A second hair transplant should ideally require between 600 and 1,500 grafts on average, or roughly 4,000 hair grafts total throughout surgery. Depending on the quality of hair following the first hair transplant, each person's experience with a second hair transplant is unique. The second operation gives the client the option of having denser hair and a reduced or expanded hairline, depending on their preferences.
What is the appropriate interval between hair transplants?
The body and hair follicles require time to recuperate following the initial hair transplant procedure. Ideally, a person can have two or more hair transplants. If there is a favourable donor location and the hair follicles have fully healed from the previous transplant, the patient can have another hair transplant. In order to preserve the previously implanted hair follicles, the surgeon must use caution. To learn more detail
Cost of a Second Hair Transplant
The cost of a second hair transplant depends upon various factors like transplantation techniques, clinic’s location, surgeon's knowledge and experiences. Nevertheless hair transplant pricing based on the required grafts at Harleys clinic, a hair transplant clinic in Mumbai is as follows:
- Rs 30 to Rs 120 per graft for up to 1,500 grafts
- Rs 30 to Rs 100 per graft for 2,000-3,000 grafts
- Rs 30 to Rs 90 per graft for 4,000-6,000 grafts .
These price ranges are for transplantation using FUT, FUE, DHT and BHT.
Consideration of a second hair transplant is a major decision to take. Dr. Sumit Agrawal is the Best Hair Transplant doctor in Mumbai, you can consider getting this surgery done. But it is useful to correct the mistakes of the initial procedure, improve the density of the hair and one’s self confidence after hair transplant. In case you are one of those who are unhappy with the hair transplant results then you are advised to revisit your surgeon and take consultation regarding a second hair transplant.