Change my name in United Kingdom legally

Change my name in United Kingdom legally
3 min read

In the UK, changing your name legally on your passport and driving license generally involves a formal process. Here are the common ways to change your name:

  1. Deed Poll:

    • A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change name on driving licence. It is a widely accepted method for changing your name in the UK.
    • You can create a deed poll yourself or use a professional service. It includes your old name, new name, and a statement indicating that you are abandoning your old name.
    • Once you have a deed poll, you can update your passport and driving license with your new name.
  2. Statutory Declaration:

    • Similar to a deed poll, a statutory declaration is a formal statement declaring your intention to change your name.
    • You can make a statutory declaration at a solicitor's office or a commissioner for oaths. It must be witnessed and signed by an authorized person.
    • After obtaining a statutory declaration, you can use it to update your passport and driving license.
  3. Marriage or Civil Partnership:

    • If you are getting married or entering into a civil partnership, you can change your surname to your spouse's or partner's name without the need for a deed poll or statutory declaration.
    • You can update your passport and driving license with your new name by providing the relevant marriage or civil partnership certificate.
  4. Divorce:

    • In case of divorce, you can revert to your previous surname or choose a new name through a deed polls or statutory declaration.
    • You can update your passport and driving license with your chosen name by providing the necessary legal documents.
  5. Gender Recognition Certificate (for gender change):

    • If you have legally changed your gender, you can update your name and gender marker on your passport and driving license by obtaining a Gender Recognition Certificate.
    • The process involves legal and medical documentation to support the change.
  6. Change of Name by Usage:

    • If you have been using a different name for a long time and can prove this through documents and references, some organizations may accept a change of name based on usage.
    • However, this method may not be universally accepted, and it's advisable to check with relevant authorities.

Regardless of the method chosen, it's crucial to update your personal documents, such as passports and driving licenses, to ensure that your identification is consistent. Always check the specific requirements of the relevant authorities, as processes may change over time. Additionally, consulting with legal professionals or official government websites for the most up-to-date information is recommended.

In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the author by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
seo pool 2
Joined: 9 months ago
Comments (0)

    No comments yet

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In / Sign Up