Rooting your phone with Magisk not only allows you to use root applications but also enables you to apply modifications to your phone’s software systemless-ly. That is without actually mounting or altering the system partition. We have already covered a detailed tutorial on how to install TWRP on OnePlus 8 series and root the phone using it. However, if you do not plan on flashing custom ROMs and just want to root your phone, then installing TWRP isn’t even necessary. If you wish to flash custom ROMs, you could simply boot TWRP temporarily (using the fastboot boot command) and use it to install ROMs or anything else for that matter.
For those who do not know – it is possible to install Magisk and root your phone without installing TWRP at all. This could be done using what we call the “Magisk Patched Boot method“. This alternate rooting process involves patching the stock boot image file in Magisk Manager and then flashing the resultant patched boot image to the phone via Fastboot.
The OnePlus 8 Pro was released globally in mid-April of 2020, and it keeps OnePlus’ status as offering hands down the best high-end Android phones available. It uses a 120hz 6.78 inch display, Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 chipset with Adreno 650, and comes in 8GB/12GB RAM variants. OnePlus also has a reputation for being extremely mod-friendly, and so the OnePlus 8 Pro is incredibly easy to root and start flashing custom ROMs on. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the simple steps of unlocking and rooting this beastly phone, and TWRP isn’t even necessary.
Also, read: How to Root Moto G Power, Complete Guide
What do you mean by Rooting Android?
Rooting Android is the process of gaining privileged control or root access to your operating system. By rooting an Android phone, you can gain additional features and access otherwise restricted by default. For example, many users root their phones to install custom software or modify system settings. Additionally, some unrooted phones limit which apps you can download or run on your device, but rooting can give you complete control over the apps that you use. Overall, rooting your Android phone offers a wide range of benefits and allows for many types of customization and personalization. So if you want to take greater control over your mobile experience, consider rooting your Android device today!
If your device doesn’t support TWRP, then you can go with the second step. For this method, we need stock firmware boot image and patch it with Magisk. Now let me tell you why we are using Magisk over other rooting methods like SuperSU.
Also, read: How to Root Realme X50 Pro 5G, Complete Guide
What is Magisk?
Magisk is a highly advanced way of rooting android systemless-ly. This means that Magisk root android without changing or modifying the system partition. Hence you can receive OTA updates, run apps that require to pass Google’s SafetyNet tests.
Unlike other methods, you have to struggle a lot to install OTA updates, but with Magisk, you can easily receive updates without any issues. Also, the best part about this method is that you can install Magisk on almost any android device running Android 4.2 to Android 11
Features of OnePlus 8 Pro
- The OnePlus 8 Pro is a newly launched android smartphone. It offers great features for the price. Here is the Key Specification of OnePlus 8 Pro
- This phone comes with a 6.7 Inches Full HD+ Fluid AMOLED Display.
- OnePlus 8 Pro is powered by Snapdragon 865, which is an Octa-Core CPU.
- It has 12 GB of RAM and 256 GB of Internal Storage, which can be expanded Up to 512 GB.
- Moving to the OS, this device runs on OxygenOS top of Android 10.0.
- Camera – It has a Quad Rear-Facing Camera of 48 MP + 8 MP + 48 MP + 5 MP, and the Front-Facing camera is a 16 MP shooter.
- Moving to the battery, it has a Non-removable Li-Po 4510 mAh battery, and it also supports Fast battery charging.
- Sensors: It has all the required sensors Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass sensor.
Root OnePlus 8 & OnePlus 8 Pro - Easy Guide
If you are completely new to the rooting community, then don’t worry. We have included everything you need to know about the process of rooting android devices.
As I already mentioned above, this guide includes two types of methods, first by flashing the Magisk installer zip using TWRP recovery and the second method by flashing Magisk patched boot image using fastboot command
- Magisk 20.4 Download (link has both installer and uninstaller)
- TWRP Download for OnePlus 8/Pro
- Unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 8/Pro
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot
- ADB Installer for Windows
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot for Windows
- ADB Fastboot for Linux and MAC
Download the Stock Boot Image
Now, the second step is to download the stock boot image for the OxygenOS version currently installed on your OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro. You can download boot images for all models and OxygenOS versions from this page. Each boot image is packed inside a compressed ZIP package. So, make sure that you extract the ZIP to get the boot image (.img) file. Once extracted, copy the boot.img file inside the “Download” folder of your phone’s internal storage. Although you can place the file anywhere on the internal storage, we prefer the Download folder so that it’s easier to locate.
Root OnePlus 8 Pro By Magisk
- Download Magisk Zip file and save it to your phone’s internal storage.
- Now Boot OnePlus 8 Pro into Recovery Mode by pressing the Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously.
- You will see the TWRP screen.
- Go to Install → Select the Magisk Zip file → Swipe to Install.
- Wait till the flashing process completes.
- After that, Reboot your device.
- That’s it. Your OnePlus 8 Pro has been Rooted successfully.
- Once your device boots up, you will see the Magisk App in the apps menu. This app is very convenient for managing root permissions, installing modules, updating the app, etc.
Root OnePlus 8 Pro By SuperSU
This SuperSU method is the most used Rooting method. We need TWRP Recovery or any Custom Recovery installed on your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone for this method.
- First, download SuperSU Zip and save it to your OnePlus 8 Pro internal storage.
- Power off your phone and boot into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume Up Button + Power Button at the same time.
- You will see the TWRP screen.
- Go to Install → Select the SuperSU Zip File → Swipe to Install.
- Install SuperSU Zip
- Once done, Reboot your phone.
- You have successfully Rooted OnePlus 8 Pro.
- After your phone Reboots, you will see the SuperSU app on your apps menu. With the help of the superuser app, you can remove Root access anytime you want.
Also, read: How to Root OnePlus 7T and 7T Pro
Root OnePlus 8 Pro via KingoRoot App
- First, download KingoRoot App and Install it on OnePlus 8 Pro.
- Make sure to enable the “Unknown Sources” option.
- Open the App and Tap on One Click Root, then tap confirm.
- KingoRoot One Click Root
- Let the Rooting process complete.
- If you get any errors, you must check that you have a Strong Internet Connection.
- Well, that’s it. Your OnePlus 8 Pro has root access now.