QuickBooks error 6189 is a common company file error that can arise while opening or working on the data file. This error is a result of a lack of issues to authorize the company file and can get triggered due to many possible reasons, like installation issues or Windows registry problems. If you are facing the QuickBooks error code 6189 816, you can use the methods given below to address it easily.
If you are having trouble understanding the steps or resolving the error code on your own, you can reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 to get professional assistance from our QB experts.
Possible Triggers and Factors for the QuickBooks Desktop Error 6189
You might be getting the QuickBooks error message 6189 due to the common reasons and causes given below –
- There are Windows registry issues in your system, and the registry files might be broken, damaged, or missing from the system.
- The QuickBooks Desktop installation process is faulty or incomplete, and the installation files might be corrupted or accidentally deleted by the user.
- Windows firewall or malicious software is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the company data file.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop is not updated to the latest release, and the incompatible version is interfering with running the data files in QB.
- Essential files, like the ND and TLG files, are corrupted, damaged, or missing, and the files are causing issues while accessing the company data.
Effective Steps to Terminate the QuickBooks Company File Error 6189
QuickBooks error 6189 816 when opening company file can be easily eliminated by using the solutions given below –
You May Read Also: How To Fix QuickBooks Error 1904
Solution 1 – Rename the ND and TLG Files by Editing the File Extension to Fix the Damage
You can address the QB error code 6189 by renaming the ND and TLG files in the following manner –
- Open the file folder containing your company file and search for the network data and transaction log files to right-click them and select Rename.
- Now, add OLD at the end of the file names, followed by hitting Enter to save the changes, and change each ND and TLG file name in the same manner.
- Lastly, rerun QuickBooks to check if the 6189 error is resolved and if you are able to access the data file correctly.
Solution 2 – Activate the QuickBooks Refresher Tool to Mend the Installation Problems
You need to fix the installation errors in QB by using the QuickBooks refresher tool in the following manner –
- Download the QuickBooks Refresher tool and install the files and save them at an accessible location, followed by ensuring that all the QB versions are closed.
- Double-click the QBrefresher.exe file to run the program, and follow the on-screen prompts to run the tool and fix the installation issues.
You can easily fix the QuickBooks error 6189 by using the solutions given in this blog above. If the error code persists, you can call us at 1.855.738.2784 to get assistance from our technical support team.
Recommended To Read: How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 6094